Planning to release a new music video? Congrats! Now it’s time to decide where to drop it. Both YouTube and Vevo offer many great benefits, but they’ve each got their own downsides. Before you release anything, here are some major differences between YouTube and Vevo to consider…
Differences Between Vevo and YouTube Videos
Before we dive in…The biggest difference between YouTube and Vevo is the simple fact that YouTube is limitless in terms of the type of video content on the platform. Vevo, on the other hand, is solely for music content. Click To Tweet
Even though your video is technically competing with a larger number of videos on YouTube, that doesn’t mean its capability for exposure is any less. By ensuring your channel and videos are optimized correctly, you can increase the visibility of your videos.
- View, analyze and report your channel’s analytics.
- Manage and optimize your individual videos with tags, cards, end screens, etc.
- Set channel and video upload defaults.
2. Total ability to quickly and easily manage all parts of your channel at any time.
3. Ability to upload and take down videos quickly.
4. Livestream capabilities
5. Interaction with your YouTube fans through likes, comments and messages
6. No consideration for feature placement on Vevo.
7. Less likely for videos to go viral unless optimized correctly
Vevo is the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform with over 23 billion monthly views globally. They deliver a personalized and expertly curated experience for audiences to explore and discover music videos, exclusive original programming and live performances from the artists they love on mobile, web and connected TV.
1. Cannot update channel yourself, but can have the below details updated through your distributor per request
- Artist image
- Channel Banner
- Channel Trailer Video
- Channel Description (found under “About” tab)
- Social Media Links
- Featured Channels
- Google Analytics Tracking ID
- Playlist Creation
2. Makes you look more “legit” as an artist
3. Doesn’t guarantee more exposure, but has more potential to go viral
4. More likely to get your video featured in a well-exposed playlist, i.e. Vevo playlists
5. Video content lives on Artist’s official Vevo branded YouTube channel
Can you release on both platforms?
In fact, we recommend it. — Odds are your only content on YouTube isn’t solely official content like music videos, track videos, behind the scenes videos, or lyric videos (all of which that can be uploaded to your Vevo channel upon approval, as well). You’ve probably uploaded to your personal channel full live performances, teaser videos, fan contests, or whatever else that has made sense for your brand as an artist.
- If you decide you want to keep your personal YouTube channel with all of these videos and then get a Vevo channel created to release more official content, you can easily link them both.
If you decide to do this though, keep in mind that your views will be divided if you upload the video separately to your personal YouTube channel in addition to your Vevo channel. This could also potentially affect your monetization opportunities since all channels must meet YouTube’s guidelines for monetization.
Because of this, we recommend that you distribute your official music videos with a distributor to be placed on your Vevo channel. Then, make a Vevo playlist on your personal YouTube channel. By doing it this way, your views won’t be divided between both channels, and you’ll also drive more traffic to your Vevo channel.
We hope that this article has given you some things to consider, and will give you the direction you need to optimize your next video release.
- Need help with YouTube Optimization? No problem. // Check out our YouTube Optimization Service to learn how to get started.
- Interested in getting a Vevo channel started?// Check out our Music Video Distribution Service.